Litigation: He has been in practice at the English Bar since 1975. Has appeared in most English courts, including the High Court and Court of Appeal. Experience as advocate in lengthy and complex court cases.
Arbitration and Mediation: Chartered Arbitrator; IMI Certified Mediator and CEDR - accredited Mediator .
Experience as advocate, arbitrator and mediator in complex international multi-million U.S. dollar disputes in areas including commercial disputes, oil and gas, metals, cotton and banking.
He has been appointed and acted in international arbitrations and mediations in Abu Dhabi, Beijing, Lagos, London, New York, Shanghai, Singapore, Stockholm and Washington.
Recent cases in which he has acted as counsel; mediator; and as party- appointed arbitrator, sole arbitrator and as chairman of arbitral tribunals include:
- appointment to AAA/ICDR Tribunal in Washington D.C. in dispute involving armaments and weapons systems;
- sole mediator in ad hoc case involving North Sea sub-sea oil drilling contracts;
- co –counsel in international cotton arbitrations under the Rules of the International Cotton Association: Turkish and U.S. parties;
- appointment to AAA/ICDR Tribunal in New York in international metals dispute;
- sole arbitrator in LCIA arbitration in European/Chinese joint venture dispute involving manufacture of aircraft equipment (governing law the laws of the People’s Republic of China);
- presiding arbitrator in dispute administered by the Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration – Lagos: Nigerian and Canadian parties in dispute relating to installation of Web- Based system for a major Bank (governing law the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria);
- advising Chinese lawyers on international metals “scam”;
- sole arbitrator in international metals dispute. UK and Indian parties. Rules of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators;
- appointed Chairman of CIETAC Arbitration Tribunal. Seat of arbitration Shanghai. Chinese and German parties.
- party – appointed arbitrator in international dispute under the Rules of the Abu Dhabi Commercial Conciliation and Arbitration Center.
Appointed in various cases by the ICC’s International Centre for Expertise, Paris.
Appointed by the UN’s World Intellectual Property Organisation, Geneva, as panellist
in WIPO domain name disputes.
He has a particular interest and experience in dispute resolution in relation to Oil & Gas; Metals; Banking; Cotton- and in relation to China.
Publications and Conferences: Articles on international commercial dispute resolution have been published in various journals around the world. Author of the Commonwealth Secretariat’s Manual of International Dispute Resolution. Published by the Commonwealth Secretariat, Marlborough House, Pall Mall, London.
Foreword by Sandra Day O’ Connor, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme
Speaker at conferences in the UK, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and China on
international commercial dispute resolution.
Arbitration: Chartered Arbitrator: acts in domestic and international arbitration.
Experience as Counsel and Arbitrator in multi-million U.S. dollar international commercial disputes under the Rules of various arbitral and other institutions.
Mediation: IMI Certified Mediator and CEDR - accredited Mediator .
He has been actively involved in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) – in particular mediation - for over 10 years. He has acted in over 50 mediations as mediator in mainly commercial disputes, both domestic and international. He also has experience acting as Counsel in commercial mediations.
Experience: His experience in mediation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution covers various types of commercial disputes including contracts for the sale and carriage of goods; letters of credit; metals contracts; oil trading contracts; oil drilling jack up rig contracts; contracts for sub-sea oil drilling structures; joint venture agreements; franchising; trademarks; know-how licensing; hotels; fashion and clothing manufacturing contracts.
Publications and Conferences:
Articles on international commercial dispute resolution have been published in various journals around the world. Author of the Commonwealth Secretariat’s Manual of International Dispute Resolution. Published by the Commonwealth Secretariat, Pall Mall, London.
Foreword by Sandra Day O’ Connor, Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Speaker at conferences in the UK, U.S., Europe, Africa, the Middle East and China on commercial dispute resolution.