Dilpreet’s practice covers Commercial, Planning and Public Law.
Dilpreet has experience across the spectrum of Chambers’ core areas of expertise, including Commercial Litigation, Financial Services, International Law, Public, Local Government, Adult Social Care (in particular the Court of Protection) and Tax.
Dilpreet’s ongoing work in Chambers includes:
- Court of Appeal matter from the High Court (Chancery Division) relating to ownership of a Henry Moore sculpture.
- Instructed, with leading counsel, by the former ruling party of Trinidad and Tobago on an election petition arising out of the recent general election on the islands.
- Ongoing representation of a local authority in a Court of Protection matter relating to an individual’s financial and property deputyship and best interests care arrangements.
- Instructed, with leading counsel, by a local authority in respect of developments relating to its housing policy (matter listed to be heard in the High Court later in 2016).
- Providing ongoing advice in relation to Tax and Planning law relating to the sale of a large property business.
- Assisting leading counsel with the representation on a complex public law point relating to two children detained in adult prisons in Trinidad and Tobago in an appeal to the Privy Council.
- Instructed by a local authority to represent them in a national inquest looking into the death of Alois Dvorzak.
Significant and reported cases
- YB v. Islington LBC  EWCOP 79.
- Lisle-Mainwaring v. Kensington and Chelsea RLBC  EWHC 1814 (Admin);  EWHC 2105 (Admin).
- Tower Hamlets LBC v. Bromley LBC  EWHC 1954 (Ch).
- Erlam and others v. Rahman and The Returning Officer for the London Borough of Tower Hamlets  EWHC 1215 (Q.B.).
- R. (on the application of Eliterank Ltd) v. Kensington and Chelsea RLBC  EWHC 220 (Admin).
- Peak Hotels and Resorts Limited v Tarek Investments Limited, Peak Hotels and Resorts Group Limited, Sherway Group Limited  EWHC 2315 (Ch)
- ‘Putting the Lights Out’ – How can developers override private rights of light under s.237 of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990, New Law Journal (2015) [co-authored with Andrew Francis].
- Commentary for LexisNexis on the Finance Act in respect of tax and planning (2015) [co-authored with Timothy Straker QC].
- ‘Oaths and Perjury in a Protestant Monarchy’, Revue International de Droit Comparé (2014) [with Simon Horsington].
- Law (L.L.B., Hons.), MSc (Oxon.), CTA
- Visiting Seminar Leader – Pembroke College, University of Oxford – in the Law of Property and Trusts
Lincoln’s Inn (Barrister-at-Law), Denning Society, Chartered Institute of Taxation, UNA-UK, ALBA, ComBAR, Public Law Project, Education Law Association, Planning & Environmental Bar Association
Scholarships & Awards
- Pegasus Trust – Paris Scholarship (2014).
- Lincoln’s Inn – Euro Scholarship (2014).
- Lincoln’s Inn – Levitt Scholarship (2013).
- Member of the ‘Best Indirect Tax Consultancy Team’ – BLT Awards (2012).
- St Hugh’s College, University of Oxford – Travel and research Grant Award (2011).
- Mountbatten Scholarship (2009-2010). Awarded the Earl Mountbatten Award for ‘Global Vision’ (2010).
- Nominated for the Attorney-General’s Pro Bono Award (2009).
- Awarded the Dean’s scholarship at BPP Law School to undertake the LLM in International Law and Practice (2008).
- Best Delegate’ at Harvard World M.U.N. 2007 in the Disarmament & International Security Commission of 300 people, and then again at Oxford International MUN 2007 (Security Council), and London International MUN 2008 (Special Political & Economic Commission). Awarded best speaker as ICJ advocate (July 2009).
French, German, Spanish (basic), Punjabi, Hindi, Gujarati (basic), Urdu.