Martin Hayden SC has a broad practice covering areas of Aviation Law, Banking Law, Tax Law, Commercial Law, Employment Law, Public Procurement Law and Competition Law. He has appeared regularly in the Superior Courts of Ireland and has also presented cases in the European Court of Justice. In addition, he has appeared in Inquiries in Ireland relating to the Mahon Tribunal (Planning abuse), the Moriarty Tribunal (investigation in relation to the sale of mobile telephone licences) and in relation to both the Finlay and Lindsay Tribunals into the Irish Blood Transfusion Service Board concerning contamination of Irish haemophiliacs with Hepatitis C and HIV (in both latter Tribunals, he acted on behalf of the Irish Haemophilia Society as lead Counsel).
In addition, he has undertaken major planning inquiries; appearing on behalf of Ryanair in the oral hearings relating to the construction of Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport.
Martin Hayden has a detailed and specialist knowledge of e-contracts in the context of the Aviation industry and regularly acts for the largest airline in Europe. He regularly acts for one of the largest Banks in Ireland and has also been heavily involved in financial litigation arising out of the economic collapse suffered in Ireland post-2008.
Significant Reported Cases
• Tribunal of Inquiry into the Blood Transfusion Service Board (Finlay Tribunal – 1997)
• Tribunal of Inquiry into the Infection with HIV and Hepatitis C of Persons with Haemophilia and Related Matters (Lindsay Tribunal – 1999-2001)
• Tribunal of Inquiry into Payments to Politicians and Related Matters (Moriarty Tribunal – 2000)
• Tribunal of Inquiry into Certain Planning Matters and Payments (Flood Tribunal – 2001-2004)
• Reynolds v Elio Malocco v Murray  1 ILRM 289
• Ryanair v Labour Court and Irish Municipal Public and Civil Trade Union  1 ILRM 45
• Nurendale Limited t/a Panda Waste Services v Dublin City Council  IEHC 588
• Ryanair Ltd v Billigfluege .de GMBH  IEHC 47; Supreme Court ruling given on the 20th November 2014 (written judgment pending)
• McDonagh v Ryanair Ltd; Case C-12/11
• Sherborough Securities Limited & Others v An Bord Plenala and Coras Iompar Eireann
• Ryanair Ltd v On the Beach Ltd.  IEHC 124
• McCaughey v Anglo Irish Bank  IESC 17
• O’Sullivan v Canada Life Assurance Ireland Ltd.  IEHC 217
• Haughey v J&E Davy Stockbrokers, Bank of Ireland Mortgage Bank and Bank of Ireland  IEHC 206