Natasha specialises in international arbitration, dispute resolution and commercial litigation. She is qualified in English and French law.
Natasha accepts instructions as counsel and arbitrator in arbitration proceedings, often with a cross-border element and involving a wide variety of rules, seats and industry sectors. She conducts court proceedings including applications for interim relief and the enforcement of awards, as well alternative dispute resolution by negotiation and mediation. She also advises clients on all aspects of commercial, company and contract law.
Natasha practiced from 4-5 Gray’s Inn Square between 2002 and 2006, gaining experience in a broad range of commercial, regulatory and public law matters. In 2006 she moved to Paris to develop her international practice based at the French law firm Gide Loyrette Nouel.
Her recent experience includes proceedings relating to joint ventures, construction, energy, telecommunications and the international sale of goods.
Some recent cases include:
- Counsel to a major telecommunications provider in an arbitration (ICC Paris) against a satellite operator concerning the operator’s right to use frequencies at a certain orbital position. The arbitration also led to an application for annulment of an award on jurisdiction before the Paris Court of Appeal.
- Counsel to a major French energy company in a pre-contentious dispute arising out of the construction of a solar plant in India.
- Counsel to a publishing house in relation to an application for annulment before an ICSID ad hoc committee, and resubmission of arbitral proceedings, in respect of its claim for unfair and inequitable treatment and expropriation against the Republic of Chile.
- Secretary to the Tribunal in an arbitration (ICC Paris) between a group of companies in the telecommunications sector in Brazil and an Italian telecommunications company.
- Counsel to a Saudi Arabian consultancy firm in an arbitration (ICC London) claiming the payment of commission payments in respect of the placement of contracts for oil rigs in Saudi Arabia.
- Counsel to a middle eastern broadcasting company in an arbitration (ICC Paris) concerning a distribution agreement in the telecommunication sector.
- Counsel to a major French energy company in an arbitration (ICC Geneva) arising out of the termination by breach of a shareholders’ agreement concerning a joint venture company in the energy sector.
- Counsel to a Taiwanese electronics manufacturer in an arbitration (ICC Zurich) arising out of an intellectual property dispute concerning a manufacture and supply agreement.
- Counsel to a French agricultural co-operative in an arbitration (ICC Geneva) concerning the exercise of a put option agreement for the purchase of shares in a food production company.
- Counsel to a Saudi Arabian consultancy firm in an arbitration (LCIA London) claiming the payment of a consultancy fee from a Korean construction and engineering firm.
- Counsel to a French governmental body in a pre-contentious dispute, concerning the renegotiation of a contract for the supply of aircraft and associated maintenance works.
- Counsel to a State party to a trading rights dispute before the World Trade Organisation.
Called to the Paris Bar in 2010
Called to the Bar of England & Wales in 2001
Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent), Inns of Court School of Law, London, 2001 (Lincoln’s Inn Sir Thomas More Bursary and Hardwicke Scholarship)
Postgraduate Diploma in Law (Distinction), College of Law, London, 2000
B.A. Hons. English (First Class), Trinity College, Cambridge, 1999 (Trinity College Tripos Prize)
B.A. English and Classics (Distinction), University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1996 (Roderick Noble Scholarship, for the top graduate in the University of Cape Town Arts Faculty)
English, French, Afrikaans
PUBLICATIONS, SEMINARS, AFFILIATIONS
- Article published: “Arbitrating Commodities Disputes”, Global Arbitration Review, 22 January 2013
- Arbitrator for William C. Vis Pre-Moot, 2010 and 2013
- Arbitrator for Russian rounds of the Jessup Moot, 2011
- Seminar given: “La Rédaction de la Clause d’Arbitrage”, Gide Loyrette Nouel, 2011
- Seminar given: “Exécution des sentences contre les Etats et leurs Emanations”, to the EFB – Ecole des Avocats, 2010
- Seminar given: “Dispute Resolution in International Contracts”, to the Ecole des Ponts ParisTech, 2009
- Article published: “Is There a Different Yardstick for Arbitrator Bias in Investment Treaty Arbitrations?” with C. Lemarié, Transnational Dispute Management, vol. 5, issue 4, July 2008
- Article published: “Confronting the Matrix: Do the IBA Rules Require Amendment to Deal with the Challenges Posed by Electronically Stored Information?” with N. Tse, Arbitration, vol. 74, no. 1, 28 – 37, February 2008
- Article published: “Commission of the European Communities v Council of the European Union: The Rise and Rise of Criminal Environmental Penalties?”, New Law Journal, 11 November 2005
- Editor (with Charles Bourne) of the Judicial Review division of Butterworths Civil Court Precedents, 2005 to 2006
- Reporter for the Property, Planning and Compensation Reports, 2003 to 2006
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; ICDR Young & International; ICC YAFF; LCIA YIAG